WHAT IS GLOBAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP WEEK (GEW)?
GEW is an annual celebration of entrepreneurship that takes place in over 180 countries worldwide. Organized by the Global Entrepreneurship Network’s partners across the globe – including Futurpreneur in Canada – GEW enables businesses, non-profits, entrepreneurs, and ecosystem champions to organize events focused on key themes related to entrepreneurship:
• Education • Ecosystems
• Inclusion • Policy
Over 40,000 events will take place during GEW and we invite you to be a part of GEW Canada to promote entrepreneurship, raise awareness, and celebrate the impact of entrepreneurs across the country!
WHEN IS GEW 2022?
GEW 2022 will take place between November 14 – 20.
WHAT COULD EVENTS LOOK LIKE?
As a GEW Canada Ambassador, you will be responsible for organizing and running at least one event during the week.
Potential events include:
• Fireside chat with entrepreneurship leaders or champions
• Panel discussion of issues impacting entrepreneurs locally or in a particular sector
• Workshops on how your programs support entrepreneurs
• Roundtable featuring local entrepreneurs in your network
• Pitch Competition or Awards Ceremony
• Engaging local or regional entrepreneurship agencies or organizations
WHAT IS A GEW CANADA AMBASSADOR?
GEW is the largest annual celebration of entrepreneurship, with opportunities to build connections and promote your work to a local, national, and global audience. As a GEW Ambassador, you will have the opportunity to have a leadership role in organizing a local entrepreneurship-focused event in your region during the week! This means that you will be recognized as a GEW Ambassador online and through social media, and you will have the chance to set the agenda for GEW activities in your area by creating an engaging in-person or virtual event for entrepreneurs and ecosystem champions in your community. This is the inaugural year for GEW Ambassadors in Canada, meaning it’s a great opportunity to build your skills and your network!
Your GEW events will be shared on the offcial GEN Global website and can be promoted on the GEW Canada Twitter account @gewcanada.
HOW DO YOU APPLY TO BE A GEW CANADA AMBASSADOR? WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA?
To apply to become a GEW Canada Ambassador, simply sent your resumé and a 1-page letter outlining your goals as an Ambassador to Micah Anshan at email@example.com by August 26, 2022. Your letter should include:
- Name and geographic location (we are looking for a wide range of communities to be represented)
- Your experience as an entrepreneur or entrepreneurial ecosystem partner
- Initial plans and goals for your GEW Event
- Why you want to be a GEW Ambassador
- Anything else we should know, including any previous event-planning experience
Futurpreneur is looking for a maximum of 15 Ambassadors across the country and will be assessing applications based on your vision for GEW, geographic location, connections to the local ecosystem, and experience planning events. If you have any questions, reach out to Micah at the email above!
WHAT ARE SOME TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL EVENT?
• Start Planning Early: November may seem far away now, but it’ll be here before we know it! Start planning for GEW now by connecting with partners, venues, and potential speakers!
• Engage Local Entrepreneurs: GEW is all about supporting entrepreneurs and sharing their stories. Connect with local business leaders and ecosystem champions in your region to share your plans for GEW and how they can get involved!
• Focus on a Theme: The best events incorporate one of the 4 GEW themes (see other page) and tend to focus on key issues impacting entrepreneurs. Other successful events have chosen to discuss barriers a particular group of entrepreneurs – like women, youth, Indigenous, newcomer, or Black entrepreneurs – or on key issues of concern for entrepreneurs in their local community.
• Consider Your Audience: Whatever you decide to do, make sure your event is tailored to the audience you want, whether that’s entrepreneurs, business leaders, policymakers or a combination of dierent groups! Make sure your event is designed in the most accessible way for your audience when considering elements like in-person vs. digital, time of day, format and location.
• Promote, Promote, Promote: Spreading the word is vital to any event. Make sure to promote your event online, through social media (both your channels and those of your partners/speakers), and through any newsletters or eblasts you might send out.
In addition to the GEW Canada logo, please tag @gewcanada and use #GEW2022 and/or #GEWCanada2022 on Twitter!
CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION
Want to learn more or share your idea for feedback? Reach out to Micah Anshan at firstname.lastname@example.org to connect!