You have what it takes – now crush it.
We want to help you launch your own business. Futurpreneur Canada’s Start-Up Program takes your passion and turns it into a reality.
Your application not only assists in landing you up to $60,000 in financial support, but also allows you to grow with our portfolio of over 3,000 mentors.
- It’s tough to get funding when you’re a young person without a lot of assets. That’s why we offer young entrepreneurs collateral-free loans of up to $60,000 toward launching or buying a business. Opening doors through financing is one of the ways we support young people with great ideas.
- It takes a lot more than money to make a business thrive. Starting your business with us means having up to two full years of support from one of our over 3,000 skilled volunteer mentors. Our mentoring program will connect you with a mentor who can help you meet your individual business goals.
- When you work with us to start or buy your business, you’ll have access to the resources you need to be successful. Our popular interactive Business Plan Writer has helped more than 100,000 users demystify the process of creating a business plan. We also offer materials to help you learn key business skills, such as marketing, operations and cash flow.
- Demonstrate some training/experience related to your business idea.
- Create full-time sustainable employment for the applicant(s).
- Agree to work with a mentor for up to two years (4 to 5 hours a month).
- Produce a complete and viable business plan by the end of the application process.
- Business fully operating for fewer than 12 months.
- Agree to complete Futurpreneur Canada status updates every month.
- Agree to provide authorization for Futurpreneur Canada to carry out a credit check.
- Assure that the business is NOT in the research and development stage.
- Assure that financing proceeds may not be used for refinancing existing debt.
- BDC financing through a Futurpreneur Canada application is not available to all persons, corporations, firms and companies who are already a BDC borrower.
- A business plan must fall within specified industry guidelines in order to be approved for financing. Examples of businesses which do not meet Futurpreneur industry guidelines include: businesses that are sexually exploitive or that feature sexually explicit entertainment, products or services; businesses that are engaged in or associated with illegal activities; businesses trading in countries that are proscribed by the Canadian federal government; and any other commercial activities inappropriate for government funding. For more details on Futurpreneur industry eligibility, click here. All BDC loans are subject to the eligibility criteria of the BDC.
- Demonstrate that you have been discharged from bankruptcy for at least five years or one year after receipt of a Certificate of Full Performance in the case of a Consumer Proposal.
- For establishments serving alcohol, a maximum of 49% of revenues can be generated from the sale of alcohol when same is consumed on-site. Exempt from this are producers such as craft breweries, wine and spirit producers, brew-it-yourself type locations.
- Any age eligible entrepreneur (18-39 years old) who owns 5% or less of the business does not need to be party to Futurpreneur Canada.
- The amount invested, or to be invested in the Business, by the persons other than BDC and the character of the investment are such that a reasonable lender may expect that those persons will have a continuing commitment to the business An amount of 10% of the total project plan financing will in general be considered as sufficient for the entrepreneur investment.
For additional eligibility criteria for partnerships, incorporations, and business take-overs please click here.
For information on businesses not eligible for Futurpreneur Canada financing please click here.
Approval for financing is also dependent on an applicant successfully meeting credit score minimums determined by Futurpreneur.
Futurpreneur Canada is a non-profit organization supporting Canadians aged 18-39 to become business owners with loan financing, mentoring and business resources. Our experts are here to answer your questions and put you on the path to success.