CEO & Founder
Devon is an evoker. She defined a new market category, co-founding Blo, the world’s first and largest franchise chain of Blow Dry Bars. Born from her second-year university project, the company spans four countries, with 48 locations, and has collaborated with international mega brands like Mattel, Guess and Gwyneth Paltrow.
PROFIT Magazine, and MSN.com have named her 1 of the Top 30 entrepreneurs in Canada, alongside the likes of Joe ‘Fresh’ Mimran and Steve Nash. Her resolute disposition for leadership shows up in all facets of her life. She was assaulted in two unrelated incidents at 18 and then again at 21, right after launching Blo, and went through the ensuing judicial process that eventually led to two guilty pleas. She was later diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Depression. Thereafter, her devotion to mental wellness was ignited, inspiring and shape the way she loves, leads and lives.
This year she goes down in history. Canada’s Minister of Labour and The Status of Women, recognized her during Women’s History Month for her contribution to the community and economy. McGraw-Hill Ryerson have featured Devon in the textbook edition of ‘Balderson: Canadian Entrepreneurship & Small Business Management’. She’s served up belly-laugh inducing, heart-pouring sermons on platforms like TedX, Pecha Kucha, Shaw TV, and opened for Dragon Kevin O’Leary. She supports Women Against Violence Against Women (WAVAW) Rape Crisis Center, as strategic advisor; and has worked closely with Futurpreneur Canada (formerly CYBF) mentoring businesses across Canada.
HONOURS, AWARDS + ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Selected as 1 of 15 delegated to represent Canada at the G20 Young Entrepreneurs Summit 2011 in Nice, France, and 2012 in Mexico City, Mexico;
- Selected as a panelist to advise the Federal Government’s Advisory Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ACSBE) – a private sector committee created to provide the government with advice on how to further improve business access to federal programs and information;
- Dubbed ‘The Business Mind’ as one of Canada’s Top 13 Bright Young Things in FLARE magazine;
- Named ‘Hot 20 Under 30’ Women of the year by Chatelaine Magazine;
- Featured on MSN.com and the cover of PROFIT Magazine as 1 of the Top 30 entrepreneurs in Canada, alongside the likes of Cirque’s Guy Laliberte and Joe ‘Fresh’ Mimran;
- Named ’30 Under 30 Top Marketers in Canada’, b Marketing Magazine;
- Has delivered talks, presentations and workshops for tens of thousands of people via note-worthy platforms, such as: University of British Columbia, British Columbia Institute of Technology, Entrepreneurs Network (EO), TedX, the Canadian Digital Media Network, and opening for ‘Dragon’ Kevin O’Leary.